Various Culinary Delights and Disasters Dished Up

Maybe I rush at things! Hmmm
Really organised #baker and disorganised #decorator.
I really need to gather equipment before I start!
I keep saying I need it but #organisation is not something I'm good at.
Lists!... now #lists I'm good at :)
Books full of them, Journals full of them... largely unfulfilled and swiftly filed away lol
I like making lists, lists have been a great way of putting off doing things over the years :)
I have been, knowledgeably, informed that when those two things collide (lists and organisation) mountains can be moved. But how do I adhere to them? :)

CAKE
Cogs Cream Victoria Fruit cake with buttons

 I don't use fondant, no one I know likes it, but when I started out on this baking #journey I was all gung-ho about everything and bought some things that, in hindsight, may have been frivolous and surplus to requirements.
Thing was that I'd been given some fondant and a large proportion of youtube videos I watched had fondant rolled icing somewhere in the mix - even if they were using modelling chocolate and buttercream or royal icing. So I thought I had to too.

Sometime later.... and after tasting it again.... I can re-confirm that it's just not my medium. On the other hand I still have a block of fondant and 3 blocks of marzipan which are perfect for the button and cog mould that I bought.
Next time my Stepanese is having a charity bake I will make a stack of them in various colours and pass them on to her...... I hate waste you see.
Cogs Cake Slice

You see the green? that was a partially successful, undocumented, experiment.
I have been meaning to make a patterned cake for a little while now, the swiss rolls I've seen look fun.
I made a wavy pattern in dyed green cake batter and baked it for 5 mins before adding the rest  of the batter to cook the cake. The wavy lines spread too much and my partner, who kindly took the pictures because my hands were shaking too much, didn't take one of that cake piece.
I asked why not and he said "I wasn't sure what it was, why is it green?" Although he's great in so many ways and supports this venture as a way of saving my daily sanity, he's never going to like "miss-coloured" food. I made a mosaic cake which he could only eat in the dark lol
I will try this again, when I'm not so tired, to see if I can make it more accurate.

Banana and Cream Victoria Sponge Cake
This was the final piece of the Victoria Sponge cake with bourbon soaked sultanas, didn't want to waste the "sauce" from the soaking so I drizzled the cake with it - probably not a good idea as it tastes a little odd.
These things always look prettier in my head, taste was good, texture good - execution bordering on sloppy.... but I keep trying :) Which leads me nicely back to my opening statement about rushing at things :)

Comments

Popular Posts