Free Foods and Friday

Morning everyone, what a lovely day :)
Caught up on some sleep y'day and had a complete mini-delivery. Going by the bruised, semi-frozen #strawberries from #Tesco I'm guessing that it's the end of the season, another punnet like that one and I'll be #jam making!!...... which could be interesting as I haven't ever made jam, made some jellies about 24years ago. I mean clear jam, not the sort that goes wibble wobble wibble wobble lol
Crab Apples

I picked Crab Apples and Rowan Berries in a local park (yes, in the middle of a city!) Made Jelly as unpretty fruit can be used, plus there's less faffing - just throw the lot in as the straining thru the muslin will sort it out. Beautiful pinky red orangey sweet jelly which I ate with curries (suggestion was with game but I was Vegan at the time)
Rowan
I am fortunate to be the proud possessor of a book called "Foods for Free" by Richard Mabey (ISBN: 978-0-00-718303-6) that I found in a 2nd hand bookstore for a few pennies. I've not used it extensively but the crab apple and rowan berry jelly was lovely. I've also made mushroom burgers using puff balls, in fact I got very fed up of mushroom burgers lol
I tried snow berries (ghost berries) but I wasn't impressed. Not much flavour, a stone in the middle and a casing which resembles polystyrene lol
Snow Berries
Probably the best free food I've had was during a visit to Brancaster on the Norfolk coast, a friend had found some samphire and we ate it with fried mushrooms on toast. I think I've seen it called Sea Asparagus and it really is the tastiest of the sea weeds. It needs soaking in fresh water after picking as it is very (too) salty otherwise, then light gentle boiling. Deeeeelish :)
Samphire
I'm hungry now...... but I have a little Facebook time to spend before I will eat.
The weekend starts here.

Comments

Popular Posts