Limited Edition Walkers Crisp Review

Probably definitely a bit late to be doing this as the produce is just about to be yanked off the shelves but I'm eating them now, so now it is :) Walkers Crisps had paired up with Heinz this summer (2016) to produce crisps for sandwiches with traditional British Sandwich fillings. I've always been a bit partial to "crip sarnies" (sic) even if only Ready Salted but these were a bit of a luxury (for my accounts) so I was pleasantly surprised when the Co-Op Grocery store had them reduced to 29p a pack (end of line but in date). So here goes my own impartial opinion of these Limited Edition flavours.
  1. Cheese Toastie & Worcester Sauce - this was the flavour I thought that I'd enjoy the most as I'm a big fan of the original. Unfortunately, to my tastes, this was more Worcester sauce than anything else and they already do that flavour
  2. Cheese, Cucumber & Salad Cream - this was the flavour that appeared to give many reviewers the most to get their heads around, either the cucumber or the salad cream was a stumbling block, so I was prepared to dislike them. I enjoyed them more than the Toastie ones! They were more of a flavour deconstruction, as the Breakfast crisps had been many years back. Unusual but I would try them again.
  3. Bacon & Tomato Ketchup - this was a very good flavour too. I like bacon crisps but often find the extreme flavouring repeats on me. This is a perfect balance. The tomato makes the bacon a more easily digested flavour and the balance of flavours was good.
  4. Sausage & Brown Sauce - This flavour had been half visited in the old Builders Breakfast crisps (egg, bacon, sausage and tomato) which I absolutely loved so I was hoping to re-visit it but the sausage flavour was swamped by the lovely brown sauce-ness. Tingly tongue taste but no gold star as the balance wasn't right for me.
  5. Ham & Mustard - I wasn't too fond of the Beef and Mustard crisps but thought this might be interesting if they could stop it from tasting too much like sausage. Oddly enough tho I found the taste more reminiscent of bacon and, unfortunately, the mustard won the taste hierarchy again. The tingle was nice but not impressed overall.
  6. Roast Chicken & Mayonnaise - this was the only flavour that I was unable to try, maybe it was the most popular locally.
Conclusion:
The only packet I would repeat was the bacon and tomato, with maybe the cheese, cucumber and salad cream coming in, very surprisingly, close behind! Unfortunately this was more a battle of the condiments, too much emphasis on embellishing without getting the core taste right first.
Yet I throw my preconceptions out of the window and re-affirm the benefit of tasting things before you dismiss them as inedible :)


Comments

Popular Posts