Barbecue Sauce Pork Burgers and Retrospectives

Moving on has had me looking back. I found my old LiveJournal My Old Blog - Aug 2004 to Dec 2006
Not sure how to feel about it so I've saved a copy to my HD and treat it the way I've treated all my journals. I have them but don't refer to them..... not yet.
I figure my journey is nowhere near enough ended yet, maybe when I'm older and greyer lol
Last night I made Barbecue Sauce and Him Indoors said it was so good I should bottle it (and write down the recipe so that I don't forget it). 
That got me thinking .... it would be good cold with pork pie, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, cold meats etc. Or would be a nice treat with your breakfast fry up.
Could also be made more fluid and used as a Vegan pasta sauce or add some mince and make BBQ Sloppy Joes.
We had it with Pork and Herb Cheese and Bacon Burgers.
Barbecue Sauce

 Barbecue Sauce


Adapted from BBC Good Food Recipe

(As usual, adapted because I didn't have all the ingredients they asked for. I also wanted to use up some cooking tomatoes too.)

1 tablespoon olive oil (I used sunflower)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (I used 1 tspn garlic paste instead)
1 tin tomatoes, chopped - I used chopped fresh ones and 2/3 tablespoons of bourbon (but I don't think the bourbon left much flavour so water would do)
1 tbsp soft brown sugar (to taste with this. Him Indoors likes it sweet, me not so much - but I can temper the sweetness with the next ingredient)
2 tspns jerk seasoning (not in the original recipe, and so pretty much to your own taste - I like the spicy aromatic kick it gives)
3 Tablespoons Malt Vinegar - I replaced with Balsamic, for the sweetness again.
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon tomato puree (I used 3 tbspn as I'd used fresh tomatoes)

Soooooo simple
Fry onion in oil for 2 mins, add garlic and cook slowly 3 more mins to soften onions. Add the rest of the ingredients. bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer for 20-30 mins or until the sauce is reduced as much as you like.


This is enough for just one meal for 2 or 3 people.

I also revisited the Viennese Whirl recipe that I found by The Hairy Bikers. The leftovers from my cremation last week had been sitting in the fridge over the weekend and I was playing with the butterfly stampers, again, that I borrowed from my Stepanese Daughter.
Viennese Whirl Recipe with Lemon Buttercream
The consensus was that, because these are so rich, the smaller butterflies were actually a better size to eat. Leaving them in the fridge appeared to turn them into even more of a Shortbread style biscuit. Of which I'm hugely happy as the last time I attempted to make Shortbread it was hard and slightly burnt.
These will be lovely with lemon curd.

Comments

Popular Posts